Friday, October 9, 2009

Ready, Set, Moooo

I did it! I can official call myself a half marathoner! Sunday, October 4th 2009, I ran in the Sacramento Cowtown Marathon.

The night before the race I decided (actually my mom decided, cause mommies know best) to stay the night at my mom’s house. This way I could actually get a good nights rest and I wouldn’t have to wake up earlier to head out to William Land Park. I was in shock when I climbed into bed at 9pm; we all know this would NEVER have happened if I stayed at home!

Even though I’m not a morning person, when 6am rolled around I did feel refreshed and ready to take on my first half marathon. I kept my breakfast light with a banana and cup of orange juice. My mom’s friend Deborah, who’s a masseuse, came over and rubbed my legs down and did a little stretching with me. Then we were out the door and on our way.

Not once before getting out of the car and walking over to the starting line did I get nervous. But, as soon as I meet up with my running buddy Amy and we positioned ourselves in the MASS group of people my stomach started to turn. All I could think was what the hell did I get myself into? Before I could change my mind the horn blew and there was no turning back.


I was surprised how long it took for the crowd of people to disperse so we could actually get to a good running pace. I guess this happens when there are 5,000 people! The first five miles seemed to go by pretty quick. The neighborhood is nice to run in and I think it helped that Amy and I ran the route a few times prier to race day. I was excited to see my mom and Deborah at the five mile mark. Not only for the moral support and a photo opt, but I was starting to get hot in my jacket.


By mile 9 my left calf started cramping and my nose was draining from my cold. I couldn’t completely breathe in because I thought I might choke on my snot. From mile 9 to mile 11 I contemplated attempting my first snot rocket but decided not to since I thought it wasn’t ladylike. Even though I don’t think all the spitting I was doing was quite ladylike either. At 11 miles, the aid station not only had water and Cytomax but different types of chocolate candies. Of course I couldn’t pass on the m&m’s, I wish I had. All it made me want was more water to wash the hot chocolate taste out of my mouth. On the bright side, it gave me something to think about till the next station since my c-section incision was burning and I thought I was going to have to carry my intestines across the finish line.

Then there it was; the sign, MILE 12. I couldn’t believe I was almost there! Hands down, that was the longest and most emotional filled mile of my life. Amy’s grandma and daughter where on the side near 12.5 and gave us each a kleenex. By this point my ab muscles were done working and I couldn’t even blow my nose. I just wanted to finish. With every step the crowd of cheers grew louder and louder, then I could finally see the ballooned finish line. I don’t know where the strength came from, but some how I ran my heart out the last .10th of a mile. It was the best feeling (other then the birth of my kids, and I guess my wedding day) to see my family and parents at the finish line.

IMG_7069 IMG_7075

When I first decided I wanted to run in this event I made 3 goals for myself; to finish, not to hurt myself, and not to come in last. I am glad to say I accomplished all three! I average a 14 minute mile, finish 2538 out of 2898 runners (half marathon), and only one sore hip flexor. And it didn’t hurt that my boys told me I won the race. Now I’m going out and buying my 13.1 sticker and slapping that bad boy on the back of my car. Can you tell I’m proud of myself? Sign me up for the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment