Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Shamrock’n ROCKED!

23817_1234239377161_1264478227_30524736_1374387_n

I can mark another notch in my running belt, second half marathon done! YAY for me!

This was the second year the Shamrock’n Half Marathon partnered up with Team Runnin' for Rhett. Rhett Seevers, was born in 1997 with cerebral palsy and died 7 years later in 2004. The proceeds raised from this race will fund three $5,000 scholarships. Which will be awarded to three graduating Sacramento County college students that are enrolling in a Special Education teaching credential program. This wonderful group provides most of the race volunteers and trains hundreds of race participants.

The Shamrock'n Half Marathon was a pretty awesome run. It crossed the historic Tower Bridge (2x), through part of Downtown Sacramento, down along the river, back through Old Sacramento, then loop after loop through West Sacramento (i could’ve done without all the loops). For the most part it was flat, but the few hills there were kicked my butt! Along the 13.1 miles there was 12 bands. It didn’t seem like all the bands were playing when we passed, or even when we looped back by them. But there were three that I actually heard and liked; Shayna & The Bulldog, This Luxury, and The Kelps. Of course they were all rock. Nothing like some rock-n-roll to get your legs going!

In some ways I feel like I was more prepared for this run. I’m going to guess it has a lot to do with the fact this wasn’t my first half (and my COOL socks, thank you susan). I also had tested out different energy packs and found the ones I really liked. And by mile 12 I didn’t feel like I was going to die, unlike Cowtown. Even though my finish time was not what I was projected on my training program. I still finished better then my last half marathon and under 3:00. I’ve dwelled on that the past few days, but now I’m going to move on (and a lot more speed work). I still finished great and there is only room for improvement from here!

Overall Results:                                                                                               Finish time 2:59                                                                                             Pace 13:42                                                                                                          Age Group 564/618                                                                                     Total 3614/4102 

clip_image001[9]232323232%7Ffp6324%3B%3Enu%3D3346%3E245%3E983%3EWSNRCG%3D33456%3B8653335nu0mrjclip_image001[5]shamrock 3

~A special thank you to my runny buddies, Amy and Susan. If I didn’t have you guys I would not be out running at the butt crack of dawn on Saturdays. You are wonderful women and I am so very proud of you and your accomplishments.

No comments:

Post a Comment